What does scripture have to say about who does ministry? Here are five passages that I think are critical to a proper understanding of equipping:
- Ephesians 2:10–we are created in Christ Jesus to do what?
- Ephesians 4:11-16–who are the trainers? who are they training? what are they training them for?
- 1 Peter 2–who belongs to the priesthood?
- 1 Corinthians 12–how does this body work?
- John 13:15-17–Jesus did what? commanded what? promised what?
If we are to follow Christ’s example, I think there’s no room for doubt that each and every believer is called and commanded to serve, whether it’s washing feet or preaching the gospel, or something in between. Moreover, between the gifts of the Spirit and the efforts of apostles, evangelists, prophets, and pastor/teachers, each and every believer is equipped to fulfill the ministry God has prepared for him or her.
Together these passages beg the question, What part don’t you get?