In a recent article for Leadership Journal, Gordon MacDonald tackled the question: What are the core qualities that offer evidence that one is truly on a pathway toward Christlikeness?
7. [A transformed Christian] is aware of personal “call” and unique competencies. In other words, It’s not about me, but about what has been entrusted to me and what can be offered to others. The transforming Christ-follower believes he has been given a mission. Usually, if you ask, he can put that mission into words.
We are not speaking of pastors and missionaries only, but all of us. Part of spiritual transformation seems to include a growing sensitivity to a “call,” something “out there” that needs doing in the name of Jesus.
And with the sensitivity comes a capability often called a spiritual gift. It is exhilarating to watch a young Christ-follower awaken to a power given him by the fullness of the Holy Spirit. At first there may be reluctance, even fear. There can be awkwardness, even some failure.
And then, like a young rose exposed to sunlight, the transforming Christian begins to blossom. God’s Spirit anoints with unexpected power and vision, and sometimes you hear one say, “I was made for this.” *
I have taken the liberty of highlighting some of the words that particularly caught my attention, and commend them to yours:
- What is your “call?”
- Does your call lead you into mission?
- Are you experiencing spiritual transformation as a result?
- Can you identify your capabilities?
- When have you experienced reluctance…fear…awkwardness…even failure? What have you learned from those experiences?
- Are you serving in the power of the Holy Spirit?
- Do you have a Spirit-given vision?
- Can you say, “I was made for this!“?
Ponder these questions. Seriously, spend some time with them and uncover the truth, not just pat answers. And when you are done, look around and ask, “Who is the Spirit leading me to help ask and answer these questions about their own journey in spiritual transformation?” You just might find God is calling you to a new mission…
You may find yourself called to be an equipping leader!
*(read entire article here)